- Members Only VIP Tour & Panel Discussion: Cal State LA, Hertzberg-Davis Forensic Science Center
October 26, 2018
9:30 am - 12:00 pm
This Members Only event offers a Special VIP Tour of the Cal State LA Hertzberg-Davis Forensic Science Center, learning about the state-of-the-art techniques that are used in modern day crime research. Both the LAPD (Los Angeles Police Department Scientific Investigation Division) and the LASD (Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department Technical Services Units) utilize the Center for their criminal research and expert staff members from both groups will be our tour guides. After a one-hour tour, we will get the opportunity to hear a distinguished panel composed of crime lab directors and criminalistics professors speak about technology and the future of crime labs. There will be time allocated for a Q&A period.
– Senator Robert M. Hertzberg and former California governor Gray Davis (tentative) will be on hand to introduce the panel and talk about their involvement with the Forensic Science Center.
– This Members-Only Tour will be an exclusive and fascinating peek into the science of crime investigation and what it takes to maintain a modern crime laboratory.
– Tour capacity is limited to 30 persons – advance registration required, no walk-ups. You must be registered in advance or you will not be allowed into the Forensic Science Center for security reasons.
– Sign-in at the facility will start at 9:30 and the Tour will start promptly at 10am.
– The program will conclude at 12 Noon, after the Panel Discussion.
– Food items, beverages, and open toe shoes are not permitted in the laboratories. Any persons not wearing appropriate footwear will not be allowed on the tour.
About the Hertzberg-Davis Forensic Science Center:
The Los Angeles Forensic Science Center Crime Laboratory, designed to hold both the Los Angeles Police Department’s Scientific Investigation Division and the Los Angeles County Sheriff ’s Department Scientific Services Bureau, is be the largest local full-service crime laboratory facility in the United States other than the FBI’s lab in Virginia. It’s really state of the art in criminal science. With room for approximately 400 staff members, they will provide forensic science support to all law enforcement agencies within Los Angeles County. Evidence from approximately 140,000 criminal cases will be submitted for analysis annually by both agencies. Both of the agencies’ laboratories have been accredited through the American Society of Crime Laboratory Directors/Laboratory Accreditation Board. (ASCLD/LAB)
California State University Los Angeles
Hertzberg-Davis Forensic Science Center
5151 State University Drive
Los Angeles CA 90032
Parking available in Structure A, Lot 2 or Structure B, which is the available parking closest to the Hertzberg-Davis Forensic Science Center. Please park in these lots and walk to the lobby of the Center. The parking immediately behind the Center is reserved for employees only. Parking is $4 for 4 hours.